Sunday, April 05, 2009

What is Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern, professor of Jewish history in the History Department and the Crown Family Center for Jewish Studies, Northwestern University and the author of the newly released The Anti-Imperial Choice: The Making of the Ukrainian Jew.

His entry begins:
I am a bizarre reader. As a rule, I am trying to read something very different from what I am writing/researching at that time. Over the last three months I have been working on a book on Vladimir Lenin, which is my third monograph. Of course, I had to read through 55 vols. of Lenin's complete works (in Russian). Yet I cannot say "I read Lenin." Rather I should modestly say, I did my research on him. What I read was different.[read on]
Read an excerpt from The Anti-Imperial Choice and learn more about the book at the Yale University Press website.

Learn more about Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern at his faculty webpage.

Writers Read: Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern.

--Marshal Zeringue