Saturday, July 08, 2006

Anna Quindlen's favorite mystery novels

"In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own," writes Anna Quindlen in How Reading Changed My Life. "I learned who I was and who I wanted to be, what I might aspire to, and what I might dare to dream about my world and myself."

The book includes a number of reading lists, such as:
"Ten Mystery Novels I'd Most Like to Find in a Summer Rental"

An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P. D. James

Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard

Dancers in Mourning by Margery Allingham

The Way Through the Woods by Colin Dexter

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John Le Carre

Click here to see other lists compiled by Quindlen, including:

10 Big Thick Wonderful Books that Could Take You a Whole Summer to Read (But Aren't Beach Books)

10 Non Fiction Books That Help Us Understand the World

10 Books that will Help a Teenager Feel More Human

The 10 Books I Would Save in a Fire (If I Could Only Save 10)

Ten Books for a Girl Who is Full of Beans (Or Ought to Be)

10 Books Recommended by a Really Good Elementary School Librarian

10 Good Book Club Selections

10 Modern Novels that Made Me Proud to be a Writer

--Marshal Zeringue