Monday, August 06, 2012

What is Coert Voorhees reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Coert Voorhees, author of Lucky Fools.

His entry begins:
When I’m drafting something new, as I am now, I have to avoid reading much fiction. I tend to pick up the rhythms of whatever fiction writer I’m reading, and I learned my lesson when, while reading Denis Johnson’s short story collection Jesus' Son, everything I wrote sounded like a pale imitation. That’s not to say that I don’t read fiction; as a writer of fiction, I need to read it, not just for the enjoyment but to figure out how other writers have solved problems I come up against. Denis Johnson happens to be great at defamiliarization, forcing the reader to experience things in an unfamiliar way; I’ve used Robert Ludlum’s Bourne books for help with plot; I recently read The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart because I was impressed by the intelligent and witty teenage girl narrator, and I wanted to see how Lockhart put it all...[read on]
About Lucky Fools, from the publisher:
David Ellison dreams of acting at Juilliard, but he's expected to attend nearby Stanford University, just like all of his classmates at hard-driving Oak Fields Prep. As if wasting his private school education weren't enough, David is also on track to destroy his relationship with his girlfriend, Ellen, when he finds himself falling for his new co-star, Vanessa. With David's Juilliard audition approaching, and his relationship teetering on the brink of disaster, Oak Fields is thrown into chaos as a mysterious prankster begins attacking the school's highest achievers, determined to sabotage their college aspirations. Anyone who excels is a potential target, and David, the star of every play, could be next.
Learn more about the book and author at Coert Voorhees's website, blog, and Twitter perch.

Writers Read: Coert Voorhees.

--Marshal Zeringue